Good morning from North Wales where it is cloudy with a chance of rain and we have two full lines of washing and the undercover airer is still filled with the towels we washed yesterday. But we have had plenty of sunny weather this week, so here – as they say – are some I made earlier for Six on Saturday. For some reason best know to themselves, Facebook appear to have removed the ‘Preview’ facility; hopefully everything is in the right place and the right order. Moving on . . .

Aquilegias are ever present in my front garden. Every five years or so, I take against them and dig them all out, only for them to come back again. Shades of pale pink, through deep red to dark purple, and white tipped with palest blue (but difficult to photograph),

And the first iris opened last weekend. Now the edge of the border is a line of blue spikes.

The wildflowers are germinating in my pots, and both lilies have poked their snouts above ground.

The fuchsias have returned. On the left is the one from the Lavender Border which I chopped down to almost ground level; on the right is one of the narrow hedges at the back of my raised beds, which is filling out nicely and will shortly provide nectar for pollinators and food for Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillars.

This week has been a time of change as the pots of spring bulbs were moved to their summer quarters behind the garage, leaving room for others to have their day. I started by moving the sweetpeas from their shady but sheltered spot. And finally I’ve been able to use these large terracotta pots bought about fifteen years ago. I have another three of these black pots to fill – just the right size to fit inside, balanced on bricks, when I want to ring the changes. I may need to add some trailing plants.

One interesting thing I found this week was a worm nurseryI I’d used spent potato compost to pot up my chrysanthemums. Unfortunately only one is thriving, the second isn’t doing at all well, and I lost the third. So it was time to empty that pot onto the raised bed and use it for something else. But when I emptied it, there were two large worms and around thirty tiny ones (around an inch or two long). I immediately shunted them under one of my vegetable cages to keep them safe.

I was going to add a link to some interesting information about the life-cycle of earthworms, but this item stopped me short (read to the end):

There are several stages in the life cycle of an earthworm. For example, they start as fertilized eggs in cocoons. Once they are born, it takes them several weeks to sexually mature where they can reproduce. At around six weeks, they will reach full maturity and continue living until they die.

This article by The Earthworm Society of Great Britain is more scientific!

Whatever you are doing this weekend, take some time to sit. Look around at what you have achieved; smell the flowers; listen to the birds and the bees as they go about their business.