The hot weather has been good for the potatoes; only the Pink Fir Apples are lagging behind, but they are maincrop so that’s not an issue.
This time last year, my potatoes were much further advanced, with some showing flowers on 18th June 2020. Then, I grew Swift, Desiree and Pink Fir Apple; so it’s probably a combination of weather and different varieties that’s put me behind.
To the allotment this morning, with a couple of crates to bring the onions home (much better in my opinion than a certain world cup). The brassicas are doing well, though each of the four ‘Golden Acre’ cabbages I planted had grown very tall (supposed to harvest between June and October) and the edges of the outer leaves appeared to have been nibbled – but by what? Too even for slugs and snails, and rabbits can’t get in (unless a couple of them lift the cage up while another slips in to feast. Perhaps they take turns). It didn’t stop me harvesting one! I also appear to have several tomato plants growing here. Not planted by me! Either someone spilt seed (unlikely) or there were tomato seeds in the food waste I buried to enrich the soil. I will leave them to see what happens.
The Community Garden held their AGM on Saturday 12 June. I fully intended to go, but at the last minute something came up and I missed it. Hopefully someone has made a note of what was discussed and with circulate them. But we got there two days later, when the weather was much cooler with a few spots of rain, though not enough.
With warmer days towards the end of March, the potatoes are sprouting well.
It will soon be time to choose the best three or four shoots on each and remove the remainder – perhaps this is where I’ve gone wrong in previous years, by assuming the more shoots the better. (NOTE: I didn’t remove any shoots as they’d not grown many more than shown in these pictures)
I find myself in the enviable position of still eating 2020’s Pink Fir Apple potatoes (2 bags left) while simultaneously trying to chit and plan for 2021. I ordered 1.5 kg each of Anya (second earlies) and Red Duke of York (first earlies) potatoes on 6th January and they arrived on 4th February. After a few days of quarantine, I got round to unpacking them.
I didn’t quite realise how many potatoes would make up 1.5 kg: I only have room for eight of each in the allotment bed, but I can manage a few pots at home too, along with somemore Pink Fir Apples (I’ve saved some of the smaller potatoes to use as seed potatoes. I haven’t bought any first or second earlies this year, so will use those grown in pots as new potatoes, and dig the others as required later in the year.